Come the summer months, there’s something to be said for a come-hither slip dress that can be tossed on with zero effort. Seriously, nada! You’ll want to invest in one (or five) that can serve double-duty for a multitude of affairs and take you from desk to drinks. With an iCal already jam-packed with weekend getaways, backyard barbecues and weddings, there’s no time like RN to welcome the ‘90s style essential back into your repertoire, along with rad choker necklaces and embroidered denim jackets. Better yet, wear them all together for the ultimate comeback getup. Whether you’re feelin’ a grunge aesthetic or want to channel a totally glam look (hello, slinky silk gown), slip dresses are this close to becoming your new hero piece. So what are you waiting for? Add one of these 17 one-and-done slip summer dresses to your lazy girl capsule wardrobe today.
1. Topshop Palm Print Cross-Back Slip Dress ($60): Found it. When in doubt, pack this pink and green palm print slip in your suitcase and be prepared to pull it out the moment you check into your hotel. The fun cross-strap back makes it a shoo-in for beach days and evenings spent around the campfire — just toss on an off-duty utility jacket or a cool girl-approved bomber to keep the chilly temps at bay.
2. Paper Crown Goleta Dress ($278): Wedding season, here we come! Between fulfilling bridesmaid duties and attending as a plus one, you could use a floral maxi dress this light and airy on standby. Teamed with espadrilles and a layered pendant necklace, this slip is a force to be reckoned with.
3. New Look Stripe Midi Cami Slip Dress ($37): Preppy girls, rejoice! This blue striped midi slip dress with a tie waist is just the thing for a low-key weekend in the Hamptons, a day at the races, a stroll through the farmers’ market — you name it. Throw in a floppy straw hat, a hands-free crossbody bag and some stylish wedges (or slip-on sneakers) for a refreshingly simple #OOTD that will be on repeat all summer long.
4. Tibi Print Silk Drop Waist Slipdress ($495): The fun starts now! This rose quartz beach ball print slip dress with a drop waist is the epitome of summer shenanigans. Gear up for a pool party by teaming it with strappy sandals or throw in a white blazer and some chandelier earrings for date night.
5. H&M Chiffon Maxi Dress UK ($60): When all else fails, a Grecian-inspired chiffon maxi dress will always do you right. Case in point: This ethereal beauty will take you from poolside lounging to brunch on the veranda like that. Besides a pair of the season’s coveted pom-pom-embellished gladiators, a flower crown may or may not be in order.
6. Reformation Cabot Dress ($248): Have an entrance-making silk gown, will find a summer fête (or two) for its grand debut. Look no further than this mauve-colored slip dress, featuring a thigh-grazing slit and low V-neck, that will straight-up slay on more than one occasion.
7. Lovers + Friends X Revolve Sunday Slip Dress ($128): Believe it or not, festival season is just beginning. Cue the last-minute outfit scramble. Swap out your denim cutoffs and crop tops for this free-wheelin’ ombre slip dress that will be right in line with your bohemian sensibilities. (Take note: It’s just as comfortable as it looks.) Toss it on alongside a denim vest and metallic Birks — and voilà! Festival style done right.
8. Zara Faux Leather Camisole Dress ($36): Get ready to take it there with this faux leather lingerie-esque camisole dress that would do Taylor Swift proud. Everything from the peekaboo lace to the abbreviated length reads cool girl in training, with a gothic twist. For a bachelorette party or steamy date with bae, just add some lace-up ghillies and a choker necklace.
9. ASOS Dungaree Style Midi Slip Dress in Digital Floral Print ($57): Wardrobe conundrums don’t exist when you have a swoon-inducing dress this laid-back chic on your radar. Running late for work or have a post-work networking function pop up out of nowhere? Throw this sartorial pleaser on along with some power pumps and an evening-appropriate shawl, and get the show on the road.
10. Pixie Market Navy Grid Asymmetric Slip Dress ($114): This just in: HR-approved slip dresses do exist. Take the boardroom by storm with this windowpane printed tank dress that calls for a sleeveless boyfriend blazer and ankle strap steppers. Come happy hour, the ruffled hem will be perfect for sashaying your stuff on the dance floor.
11. MinkPink Little Blooms Maxi Dress ($108): Oh, this old thang? Any floral slip dress that looks equally stunner with white high-top sneakers as lace-up gladiators is good in our book. The easy-breezy wrap style even allows you to show off some leg action.
12. Nasty Gal Alloy About Eve Metallic Dress ($88): Forget blending in — it’s all or nothing, as far as this show-stopping metallic dress is concerned. Why choose between flaunting a plunging neckline, a high slit and a risqué back when you can sport ‘em all for a sizzlin’ hot summer look? Round out your going-out ensemble with towering platforms and a body chain for a look that would give Beyoncé a run for her money.
13. ASOS Midi Slip Dress in Tropical Print ($45): You’ve been invited to a weekend of glamping on the beach with your BFFs and don’t know what to wear. Going beyond the usual prospects — a swimsuit, flip flops and sunnies — you need a tropical slip dress that can double for a night of barhopping and a next-day recovery brunch (#priorities). Opt for a sunkissed look by ditching the makeup and rocking natural beach waves.
14. Silence + Noise Ella Cold-Shoulder Midi Dress ($129): Thou shall not underestimate the power of a LWD that can be styled a million and one ways. This slip dress even flaunts a romantic of-the-moment cold-shoulder silhouette featuring flutter sleeves. Major swoon.
15. Forever21 Striped Cami Dress ($16): Quintessential striped beach dresses for women, where have you been all our life? It’s daytime casual cami dresses like this one that make traveling a cinch. Simply slip this bad boy into your carryall and proceed to wear it as a beach cover-up all vacay long.
16. Out from Under Mesh Slip ($49): Don’t be silly — slips need not be restricted to the bedroom. The best thing about slips is that they’re great for lounging, running errands and enjoying a night on the town. While this dreamy tie dye option may be too sheer for certain outings, it can be paired with a leather jacket for an upcoming GNO or tossed over a bikini for a seductive look that takes you from a.m. to p.m.
17. Mara Hoffman Tropics Slip Dress ($286): As far as we’re concerned, Mara Hoffman can do no wrong. This tropical slip dress will make you want to book a spontaneous getaway to Maui — or at least throw a Hawaiian-themed party. Everything from the bold rainforest print to the simplified silhouette is worthy of a stint in paradise.
What’s your favorite way to style a slip dress?